Career Opportunities - Home
The Career Opportunities Article

Education Glossary

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

T Term ~ Definition

Teaching Assistant (Ta) ~ A graduate student who is employed part-time to assist with faculty teaching.

TEFL ~ Teaching English as a Foreign Language.

Tele-Registration ~ Registration by telephone for classes.

Tenure ~ Guaranteed employment status given to teachers and professors after successful completion of certain requirements within a certain time period.

Term ~ A 15-week period of instruction and a one-week period of examinations and outcome assessments.

TESOL ~ Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Term Paper ~ A formal paper required as part of course work.

Thesaurus ~ A compilation of terms giving synonyms and/or antonyms for each term. In database searching, a thesaurus provides a standardized and controlled vocabulary for information retrieval.

Thesis ~ A written piece of work required for a degree.

Thinkpap ~ Most often attributed to brands of laptops

Three-Quarter Time ~ Nine credit hours for undergraduate students.

Title Iv Financial Aid ~ The student financial assistance programs authorized by Title IV of the Federal Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, consist of Federal Pell Grant Program, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), Federal D

TOEFL (Test Of English As Foreign Language) ~ A standardized test administered world-wide to determine proficiency in English and required by most US institutions of all foreign applicants whose first language is other than English.

Total Withdrawal ~ The procedure whereby a student may withdraw from all coursework. The withdrawal process must be completed at the Enrollment Information Center, Guenther Enrollment Services Center lobby, by the deadlines published each term.

Transcript (Student Record) ~ A student's official academic record maintained by the Registrar's Office. It shows all academic work attempted and grades earned, as well as transfer credits accepted from other schools.

Transfer Credit ~ Credit from coursework taken at a previous institution which is accepted toward a degree requirement at Hudson Valley Community College. Transfer credit is posted to the transcript of matriculated students only

TSE (Test Of Spoken English) ~ A test designed to assess the spoken English proficiency of people whose native language is not English. The TSE is often required of graduate students seeking assistantships.

Tuition ~ Costs for courses, not including certain fees.


There are no comments on this post.

Add a Comment

Allowed tags are: a, b, em, i, p, strong, u; Line breaks are converted automatically.